Krohn Conservatory and its site are loaded with history. This architecturally significant structure celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2008, but greenhouses have been part of the Eden Park landscape since long before Krohn was built.
Eden Park’s first greenhouses, built in the 1880s, were used strictly for growing plants. In 1902, a new greenhouse designed for public displays was opened. The following year, the display greenhouse held a chrysanthemum show, and the Park Board decided to maintain a consistent change of plants and flowers to keep displays new and attractive to visitors. As a result, more than 300,000 people visited the greenhouse in its first two years.